Experiencing Christmas

It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas
whenever we rediscover the simplicity of His love.
David Jeremiah

I still remember clearly the Christmas when the idea embodied in this quote really grabbed my attention. Thanksgiving had just passed, and Christmas with all its busyness was upon me: shopping, baking and activities galore. Into this mix…all of sudden…my car was rear-ended at a stoplight by another car driving at high speed. My busyness came to a stand still, and this unexpected intrusion resulted in a different type of Christmas season. A more reflective one.

God used an unexpected event to slow me down so I could more richly experience his presence in the fullness of the season. I had to let go of my plans and embrace God’s plans.

So…instead of shopping and baking and attending parties that year, I was doctor-visiting and couch-sitting. After I worked through a personal pity party, the words from 2 Thessalonians 3:16 came to mind, “Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance…”

It’s difficult to feel much peace when an accident has turned your world upside down. Yet I hadn’t been experiencing much of God’s peace before the accident, either. How could I? My frenetic activity level had created a constant buzz of mental and physical gyrations.

What I needed more than anything was to slow down and pray…and that’s what God did for me. Jesus used that car accident to give me more time to reflect upon the purpose of the season. Christmas wasn’t about me doing, it was about Christ coming.

As I sat on the couch, God brought things to my mind that I could reflect on and praise him for. The lack of rush created time to really engage in the moment, to experience stillness from over-activity, and to spend more time thanking God for his gift of love: Jesus. That accident reminded me that Christmas comes not because I make it happen through my efforts, but because Jesus comes, the Savior of the world.

I experienced a new, different, and rich Christmas by slowing down and “rediscovering the simplicity of His love”. Ever since, I’ve tried to avoid falling back into the December madness that actually makes it harder to experience Jesus. So I encourage you to experience a new and different Christmas. I encourage you to release whatever hurry or compulsions you may be feeling as this season begins, and invite God and his peace into your circumstances.

Slow down and embrace Jesus this Christmas.


Let me pray for you as you head out into your day.

Dear God, thank you for sending your Son to earth because of your love for us. For those who are feeling a sense of hurry or compulsion in this season, I pray that they would instead rediscover the simplicity of your love. Help them to gain a greater sense of peace as they reflect on your great gift: Jesus. In His name, Amen.

Does something I’ve said encourage you with a fresh idea or plan as you move into this season? 


Do you take any special steps to slow down, to reflect, and to connect more closely with Jesus during the Christmas season? 

I’d love to hear your comments.

Comments

  1. Beautifully written! I love this statement: "Christmas wasn’t about me doing, it was about Christ coming." How perfectly that sums up the sense of urgency to "do" that our culture feels about this time of year. I have had several invitations already this season to intentionally create space for Jesus as we near the celebration of His birth. Thank you for another!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa Ann, thank you for your comments. It is so easy to get caught up in the doing, sometime even without realizing it! Writing this post helped remind me of this great invitation from Jesus to abide in him and receive his peace. May your season be one filled with his presence.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment