Walk with Jesus…into the New Year

As you walk with Jesus, resting your head on His heart, 
you will learn to know His Word, His will, and His ways. 
Your joy will abound as you remain in His love. 
Sue Detweiler

When our youngest daughter was little, she used to play with our nativity set all the time; imagining the story of Jesus’ birth. One day after she was finished playing, I noticed that the little porcelain Jesus was absent from the manger! Did Rachel take him somewhere? Did she hide him or lose him? No. She simply placed Jesus in her pocket, so he could be with her all the time.

Rachel now is a grown woman, but I continue to think of that Christmas when Jesus was transported in her pocket so he would be near to her heart. I love that image of closeness and love. It reminds me of John 15:9, where Jesus says that just as his father loves him, he loves us and invites us to abide in that love. 

A few days ago I put away our nativity set, and now – as 2019 begins – I ponder the question: Did I pack away thoughts of Jesus with the ribbons and lights of Christmas? Have I quickly returned to the way things were in my spiritual life, rather than mark the New Year with some "fresh thoughts" about how to stay close to God? 

I’d rather not say “goals”, or “resolutions”, because those sound like tasks to accomplish. My relationship with God isn’t so much about goal-setting, as about relationship-building. When I look at the number of tasks on my plate, I can feel overwhelmed. Thankfully, Jesus doesn’t define me by what I do; he simply asks me to abide in his love. To walk in relationship with him. 

So what does that look like in your life? 

I’ve attached a simple tool that can help you assess the way you currently feel about your connection with Jesus. It’s a list of similes that can help you put your feelings into words and images. As you reflect on these descriptions, you may gain a better sense of where you are. After you ponder the similes, then consider how you might walk more closely with Jesus this year.

Obviously we don’t walk around with a porcelain Jesus in our pockets, but here are a few ways to intentionally invite him to walk with you. (The suggestions below may sound basic, but they actually are the spiritual life-lines that keep us afloat.) 

Read the Bible frequently. There are many resources to guide your reading, but if you want something simple, start by reading the book of Mark, the short and pithy biography of Jesus’ life on earth. The story moves quickly and dramatically. Mark provides vivid pictures of who Jesus is, so we can more firmly grasp just how much he loves us. 

Talk with God frequently. Prayer is communication – direct communication – between us and God, and it can encompass both talking and listening. Just Google "prayer resources" and you'll find lots of tools to help. Here's another tool that might help: I've created an interactive prayer and devotional set (called “Meet Me by the Water”) which might provide you with some fresh ideas. You can check it out on the Resources page of my ministry website: https://theunfoldingsoul.org.

Be with God’s people frequently.
Take time to get involved in a church. In addition to worship and friendship, be intentional about talking with other Christians about living the life of faith. We can help each other walk more closely with Jesus!
Most important – more important than just doing these things – is opening our hearts to God. Letting him reveal himself to us through the Bible, through prayer, and through other people. Inviting him to walk beside us.

Let me pray as you go out into your day. 

Dear Lord, thank you for wanting to walk with us wherever we go; wanting to be in our “spiritual pocket.” Thank you for loving us and inviting us to rest our heads on your heart, as we learn your ways and your will. Help us start 2019 with a great desire to walk with you each hour of our days. Thank you for loving us. In Jesus name, Amen.

Comments