The Ministry of Presence: Lessons from Heather

Our lovable mutt, Heather, passed away a couple of years ago. We found her at a dog pound, adopted her into our family, and she nestled her way into our hearts and lives for the next 16 years. As I watched Heather express her unique, God-given personality, I learned a lot about the “ministry of presence”: one of the greatest gifts that God’s creatures can give to each other.

I define the ministry of presence as being aware of – and paying attention to - what’s happening in the moment with those around us. This is something that dogs excel at. God has created them to fully live in the moment, observing – and responding to – the moods and tone of those they love. 

This was abundantly true of Heather. When I was happy, she would wag her tail or even jump around with excitement. When I was afraid, she would growl or bark. When I was sad or in pain, she would sit close by my side and sometimes lick my hand or cheek. In short, Heather was continually ready to demonstrate her love. She was physically and emotionally available to respond. 

Heather taught me the value of the ministry of presence.

Unfortunately, I often make the choice not to be present with, or for, other people. Why? Because far too often, I become embroiled with me

I dwell on my past difficulties, or my present list of tasks, or my future plans…and I miss the opportunity to be physically and emotionally present with another person in their moment of need. 

I miss the opportunity to laugh, to cry, to celebrate, to mourn with the people God has placed in my life.

Heather showed me that simply being present is of incredible value. She showed me that often we do not need to do something for another person…we just need to be there with the other person. 

It’s a great ministry. It’s a ministry that Jesus offers us, as he promises to never leave us nor forsake us. It’s a ministry we can offer to others.

The ministry of presence.

Let me pray as you walk into your day. Dear Lord, I pray for those who read this blog. Give them a willingness to share more fully in the joys and sorrows of the people you have placed in their lives. Show them how to bless others through the simple, yet profound, ministry of presence. In the Name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, Amen. 

NOTE: If you are an email subscriber and would like to post a comment, just click this link which will take you directly to the blog: http://broensbridge.blogspot.com

Comments

  1. Awesome message Julie. Need to hear this this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad Laurie. It's easy to overlook the power of presence - walking with someone so they're not alone. God so knew that we needed this - through his Holy Spirit that will "never leave us or forsake us" and through others giving us this gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Julie,
      I, too, feel selfish at times not wanting to deal with family situations or my friends problems.
      Than l pray & God giv me comfort & a boost. God wants me as a caregiver & that is where I want to be. Thank you for letting me know I'm not alone. Jugs

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing. I am thankful that when we feel unable to deal with things, God give us a boost. We are blessed to have a gracious God, who knows our weaknesses and struggles, and comes alongside to help us.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment