Lessons from Paddling

I grew up near the ocean and spent many days by the shore: swimming, sunbathing, walking, and listening to the sound of the waves. My love for the ocean has broadened into a deep delight of all kinds of water in God’s creation. For me, spaces filled with water – oceans, rivers, lakes, streams – have become more than just places of beauty or fun. They are places where the sights and sounds draw me in to deep soul reflection, and I find in them many metaphors for my journey with God. Particularly when paddling in my kayak.

A Sense of Discovery
For me, kayaking provides a sense of discovery as I embark from the shore and allow myself to be enveloped in the beauty of God’s world.

I silently paddle around inlets and explore coves, with no noise from a motor to distract me. 

I see diving birds and waddling ducks. I hear croaking frogs and I watch lily pads gently sway in the water. I listen to the breeze as it stirs through the pines. 

Sometimes the view is open and expansive, sometimes I can’t see around the next point, but there always is something to discover.

In a similar way, we paddle through life on a path laid out by God. We can’t always foresee what’s around the bend: sometimes the way ahead is straight and clear; sometimes there are twists and turns. We may have to navigate around sandbars, or might find ourselves in a dead-end cove and have to back-track. 

Yet we always can choose to press on with anticipation and see what God has in store for us. It’s a choice to trust God in the unforeseen and unknown. It’s not always easy, but our perspective can make the unanticipated an adventure. The journey always will provide a sense of discovery if we keep our eyes open.

A Sense of Presence
I rarely kayak alone; my husband and I usually paddle together. Sometimes we unburden our minds by talking about pressing issues, sometimes we point out what we see, sometimes we don’t talk at all: we just paddle and drift. There’s time to ponder, to rest, to enjoy being together with no agenda and no demands. We share a sense of presence in the moment, just delighting in what we can see and hear and experience. 

In a similar way, God is present with us in our journeys; he is our constant companion. This thought makes me reflect on Psalm 22: “God, my shepherd! I don’t need a thing. You have bedded me down in lush meadows, you find me quiet pools to drink from. True to your word, you let me catch my breath and send me in the right direction” (The Message). 

Deadlines, burdens, and worries fade as we inhale the scenery before us and delight at being with God. The gift of unplanned and quiet time allows us to pray and delight in what God gives in this moment. God is always present, but our busyness and distractions – the noise in our lives – can overshadow engaging with God in this moment. 

Finding a quiet place to “paddle” can help us focus on the joy of what is before us, and enable us to experience the presence of God.

A Sense of Movement
Along with discovery and presence, paddling is good exercise and can improve my cardiovascular fitness. It increases my muscle strength, particularly in the back, arms, shoulders and chest, as I use these body parts to propel the kayak forward.

It’s not always easy, though. I can get tired and my body parts can ache. Yet as I keep going, I find a delight in the physical act of movement that enables me to make noticeable physical progress. The exertion is worth it because it produces tangible results.

In a similar way, moving forward with God provides us with spiritual exercise. There are, of course, growth spurts and growing pains. But as we keep moving we can find delight in seeing spiritual progress by moving ever closer to God and experiencing ever more of his presence.

How about you: do you kayak or canoe; garden or hike? Do you engage in any activities that are restful and enjoyable? If so, let me encourage you not to do them solely to take a break from your routine. Let them become opportunities to experience the presence of God. Opportunities for spiritual discovery and forward movement in your journey of faith. 

Let me pray for you - and me: Dear Jesus, thank you for your beautiful world and its many lessons. I pray that those who read this blog are encouraged in their own faith journey. May they know that you call them by name to know you more deeply, and to grasp how wide and deep in your love for them. 

Help us all to see this journey as an adventure; one filled with your abiding presence; one that calls us to movement as we respond to your purposes. May we learn to rest with you in this journey, despite our inability at times to see around the next bend. Instead, may we focus on the beauty of you, Jesus, and your glory. In Your name, Amen. 

NOTE: If you are an email subscriber and would like to post a comment, just click this link which will take you directly to the blog: http://broensbridge.blogspot.com

One of the components of our ministry – the unfolding soul – is to provide opportunities for rest, refreshment, and delight for the soul. Take a look at our upcoming event offerings: https://www.theunfoldingsoul.org

Comments