Fighting the Battle

A few years ago I watched an old Western, and in one scene the “good guys” were caught off guard by the “bad guys”. The good guys were going about their normal business, unaware that the bad guys were sneaking up on them. The good guys were relaxed, confident, and feeling secure…but only because they did not know that the enemy already was stealthily infiltrating their perimeter and surrounding them. 

The bad guys found great hiding spots and were able to capitalize on weaknesses and exposure of the good guys. As a result, when the shooting started, the good guys were unprepared. They were disorganized and their attention was divided by an enemy who attacked on multiple fronts. As I watched, I wanted to yell at the good guys to look out, to see the danger that was around the corner, to trust the voice of their leader, and not succumb to fear and confusion. 

And yet – in my own life – I find that the same thing can happen to me when I’m not prepared for spiritual attacks by the enemy of my soul. 

Several years ago, I was in a total funk. Over a period of some weeks, I allowed distress about my circumstances to erode my faith in Jesus and to doubt his sustenance in my life. A family crisis, a personal health issue, a car accident, and pressing deadlines at work brought me to tears and anger on a daily basis. I remember one night sobbing myself to sleep in the dark, feeling hopeless and alone. 

I was tired of relying on God, because he was not addressing my need in the way I thought he ought to. Rather than trust him, I believed the enemy’s lies that God didn’t care and that I really was alone to fend for myself and deal with my problems. In my great distress, I pushed God away. As I fell asleep, I remember feeling a shadow over my soul – a heaviness beyond the physical darkness. 

The next morning I woke up and still felt this heaviness in my heart – what could I do that I hadn’t already done? Where could I turn for help? 

In that moment, I realized that I truly was under spiritual attack. I had been infiltrated and surrounded and caught unawares by the enemy, and God was the only one who could help me. I was on my knees in seconds, thanking Him that He was there, that I was not alone. I realized that if I listened to him and trusted him, he could bring victory out of my defeat.

The stereo-typical Western shoot-out I watched on TV made me think of the spiritual battle I faced. My battle wasn’t really about my difficult circumstances…but what I believed about God in those circumstances and how he felt about me. I needed to choose to believe he was my leader in the battle: the battle of negative thoughts, doubts, fears and feelings of unworthiness. 

My victory over darkness and despair began the moment I acknowledged my weakness and need of help. I prayed for God to direct my steps through his indwelling Spirit. I asked for wisdom and strength to address the issues I faced, and a willingness to trust him with circumstances beyond my control and beyond my ability to handle. 

That difficult season in my life – and particularly that dark night – has been a good reminder of how to battle the enemy. He can be stealthy and deceitful, so I must call on my leader – my God – and listen only to his voice. When I find my thoughts infiltrated, or I am caught by surprise with difficult circumstances, I remind myself to immediately turn to Jesus because he alone is my answer. 

In light of this, here are some questions for you to consider:

- Where and when and how do you tend to find yourself surprised by enemy?
- What are the areas of your life where he most easily can infiltrate?
- What kinds of circumstances cause you to not trust God to give you victory?

I hope my experience offers you some hope, so that you will be encouraged to battle wisely, and not be overcome by the enemy of our souls.

Let me pray for you as you go out into your day. Dear Jesus, Thank you for your love for each one of us and your promise to be with us even as we face our spiritual enemy. Help each person that reads this post to remember to turn to you when they face unexpected spiritual danger, feel overwhelmed, or start to doubt your love for them. May the words of 2 Thessalonians 3:3 reverberate in their minds: that you are faithful and will strengthen and protect them from the enemy. Thank you for being a trustworthly and loving leader, always willing to come to our aid and give us victory over darkness. In your name, Amen.

NOTE: If you are an email subscriber and would like to post a comment, just click this link which will take you directly to the blog: http://broensbridge.blogspot.com

Comments