The Renewing Power of Worship

I have attended church worship services all my life. Growing up it was expected. When I went away to college, got married and started raising our family, it was a choice. But when my husband went into ministry, and a few years later I followed him, it again became a required activity. Through this journey, I have become more aware of my feelings toward community worship. What I’ve discovered is that attending – and fully participating – is a pivotal part of my week; a necessary and significant foundational piece to my spiritual life. 

Most of the time, I don’t feel it as a burden or duty. I love being with the people and with God. But there have been times when I’ve struggled to find joy in worship. For example…

~~ Several years ago, I was feeling distant from God and feeling a little lost in life. I really didn’t want to praise the Lord, but would have preferred to stay home and nurse my distress. For a number of weeks, though, I came anyway. I sang the songs, I tried to be honest with God during communion, and I tried to gain something from the sermon. 

~~ There also have been weeks when I needed quiet. When I needed some space that I could not find at home, because of the demands of family life. So during the service I sat in the cry room, alone, with the sound of the service dialed low. I could listen with less distractions, rest in God’s presence, and reflect on his word. 

Do you ever struggle like this? What I learned is that pressing on, despite how I felt, helped me stay connected to God. Worship helped me not to get lost within myself and my own issues. Making worship a priority brought me back to a place where I felt renewed and restored in my faith. 

So rather than view church as a place where I go, my life is so much more enriched when I view church as a community where I join with others in worship. Worship where I experience God. Worship where I encounter the relentless telling and retelling of Jesus’ story, as we gather together and authentically meet God with open hearts. 

This means the worship experience is not an intrusion in my otherwise full schedule; it’s not just another item on my “to-do-list”…it’s an opportunityfor me to experience God, and to experience change through being with God and others. I know this is true for me, and I hope it is – or can be – true for you. 

When we come to worship – not just attend church – we can walk in carrying the baggage of the world with us: the good, the bad, the ugly. Yet as we encounter God through worship, we can lay all of this at the feet of Jesus. Through worship, he can – he will – pick up our burdens for us and refresh our souls. 

Let me pray for you as you head out into your day. Dear Jesus, thank you for inviting us into worship so we can remember we are loved and can feel renewed in our faith. Thank you for providing community to us as we come together and worship, providing encouragement and strength in the journey. For those who are struggling, I pray they will gain a renewed desire to experience your presence; to choose to spend time with your people in worship and allow you to change them. You are a God worthy of worship and praise; help us all to find joy in responding to your love. In Your Name, Amen.

NOTE: If you are an email subscriber and would like to post a comment, just click this link which will take you directly to the blog: http://broensbridge.blogspot.com

Comments