I Want My Way

One day my three-year old grandson, Broen, didn’t want to eat his breakfast; he just wanted to play. His dad gave him a consequence, repeated three times: “If you don’t eat, I will take the food away and give it to you for lunch.” What did Broen do? He threw a huge tantrum which included yelling and crying. 

So how did my son respond? Matthew asked Broen if he was frustrated and if he needed a hug. Broen nodded yes to both questions. He put his three-year-old arms around his dad’s neck, and his dad responded by patting his head and holding him tight. The result? That little boy calmed down.

Sometimes when I watch Broen’s behavior with his dad, I see a reflection of my own relationship with God. My Heavenly Father says “no”, or “not now”, and I don’t like my desires being crossed. Like Broen, I get frustrated. Like him, I think my way is better. Like a three-year old, I don’t want to listen or obey, so instead I whine. I even may step back from God because he has not done what I wanted. 


Obviously, there is a better choice: to turn toward God, to talk through my anger and frustration with him, and to let him respond to me as only a loving Father can.

God knows my desire to say, “Can’t you see what great ideas I have?” Or, “Why would you want to frustrate me?” Or, “I thought we had a deal…”. But God, being a loving and all-knowing Father, knows what is best for me. He will refuse to offer me any “deals” or make compromises just so I can get my way in the moment. 

My Father knows that I struggle to be obedient, because sometimes I am at war within myself. I want to trust that he knows best, yet I stubbornly press to get my own way. Do I really think that the way to gain blessing is to press my demands upon God? If so, I am only fooling myself. The truth is that to selfishly push for God to indulge me is a form of pride. It only will lead to restlessness, discontent, and pain for myself and others. 

If I can acknowledge my struggle, the Father will listen. He will hold me. He will help me move forward in the life of faith, by surrendering my independence and trusting him. The more I surrender, the more I will experience his peace. He will reassure me and calm my soul, just as my son held my grandson and calmed his tears.

Let me pray for you as you begin your day. Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for loving each person reading this blog. I pray that when they face frustration or experience feelings that might erupt like a tantrum, help them remember that you love them and know what’s best for them. As they spill out their frustrations to you, help them be enveloped with your embrace of love and peace. In Jesus’ Name, Amen. 

NOTE: If you are an email subscriber and would like to post a comment, just click this link which will take you directly to the blog: http://broensbridge.blogspot.com

Comments


  1. Amen!! Julie, you always catch the exact feeling and moment of my struggles. I recently went through this and once I gave up and gave it over to God I started to feel God’s presence and relax. Awesome analogy and reminderđź’—

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad this was a helpful reminder, Laurie. I did smile as I realized how God shows me things through his little ones - humbling to see yourself in the behavior of a 3 year old!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment