Sick & Tired…of Being Sick & Tired!

Last week I sat – once again – on what felt like life’s sidelines. Why? Because – once again – I had a bad cold. More inflamed sinuses, more coughing, another sore throat. Since January, I’ve been sick every month. Sick enough that every month has included canceled activities and lying in bed. This constant barrage of illness has left me feeling weak and weary, and I find myself wondering, “Why now? What is different about this year than prior years?”

Yes, our house is extra busy because we have extended family who live with us. Yes, my grandsons – like many children – easily get colds. Yes, I lead a full and busy life. Yet none of this is new in my life. What caused my immune system to buckle so quickly over these last six months? Is God just telling me to be more careful about exposure to germs? 

Perhaps. Yet I think there’s more to it that. Believing that God has created both my mind and body, I take notice of what’s happening. And what’s happening is a conflict between my “get going and get doing” tendencies, and my body which needs to rest. 

It’s fascinating to realize that my body is pushing back against my mind. My brain – that place of control and planning – is trying to lead a body that finds itself unable to rush or meet demands. So instead of my mind pushing my body, my mind needs to help my body. And in this case, the best way to do that is to give myself permission to rest. To rest from activity and analysis and, instead, simply trust God’s plans and provision for me. 

You see, I sometimes don’t realize just how much I need to rest. To pause. To break the demanding cycle of my schedule and my to-do list. My thinking brain can operate on overdrive at times. I may relentlessly mull over unresolved issues, which only heightens my sense of anxiety or clouds my emotions. Or my compulsive doing and desire to achieve can make me overlook God’s gifts of patience and pondering…of waiting and praying. Gifts that help me better navigate decision-making.

So this season has reminded me that God sometimes uses enforced rest to direct us back to himself. Unless I am required to pause, I sometimes don’t realize how much I need him. I need to hear his quiet call to slow down. His quiet call to live in – and enjoy – the present moment. Sometimes, we need this physical stillness to gain spiritual perspective about our lives.

As I get over this most recent (and hopefully last) bout of sickness, I believe the sidelining of activities and relational involvements actually has created space for God to breathe refreshment into me. Into my mind and my heart and my soul. It’s more than resting; more than getting well. It’s a renewal of my spirit. 

In fact, if you and I can recognize God’s movement in a moment of stillness – whether enforced or voluntary – we can let go and allow this slower rhythm to invade us. Sometimes these moments hold amazing spiritual treasures we would otherwise have missed. 

Do you notice ways in which God might be using your physical being to help your spiritual being connect more closely with him?

Let me pray for you as you begin your day. Dear Lord, thank you that you created our bodies, minds and souls and they are woven together in profound ways by your hand. Thank you for using pauses in our lives – whether enforced or chosen - to help us gain spiritual perspective and to learn how better to trust you. I pray for those reading this blog, that they would become more aware of how you are at work in them, and how their body, soul and mind can work together. When their minds percolate with planning and compulsion, help them to step away and listen more closely to you. In Your Name, Amen. 

NOTE: If you are an email subscriber and would like to post a comment, just click this link which will take you directly to the blog: http://broensbridge.blogspot.com

Comments

  1. I think this is one of the most significant information for me.
    And i'm glad reading your article. But wanna remark on few
    general things, The web site style is great, the articles is really excellent : D.
    Good job, cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you D for your comment. I"m glad you found this blog post helpful. That always is my prayer. Peace to you, Julie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment