The Expectation of Fall

With the passing of Labor Day, we enter into a time of transition. The seasonal shift from summer to fall begins to take place. 

It’s often the little things that catch my attention. In our flower garden some bushes have come and gone, in our vegetable garden less produce is being picked, and apples are beginning to fall from the trees. 

If somehow I miss these obvious signs, school starts for the kids of our community this week. Change is in the works! 

This time of transition has caused me to reflect on the upcoming season. Fall seems to be a particularly full time of year for many people. School, many sports and other activities gear up when the calendar turns to September. The fall also includes special Harvest or Halloween activities, Thanksgiving, and then quickly heads into the Christmas season. 

So I wonder, what does my heart feel as it faces this unfolding season? I can feel a sense of adrenaline rush: so much to do; so little time. I can feel anticipation that this beautiful season is coming with all its colors, smells and temperature changes. 

Yet I also wonder: can I also be expectant of seeing God at work in me, as He is in His creation? 

Just as God is beginning to change the color of our maple tree leaves, is there a character quality He might want to change in me? 

Is there a friendship that needs to develop and find a new level? Is there a change that needs to be made in my areas of ministry service; those places where I volunteer in the church or community?

 Is there a Bible book I can read that will help me continue to be changed more fully into the image of God? 

Just as we observe and experience the transformation of summer into fall, so God can transform us by drawing us into new spiritual experiences. 

Yet while the cycle of nature takes place without any input from us, you and I must be intentional about choosing to pursue God. To be intentional about listening for his small, still voice. To be intentional about asking how he might want to continue to mold us and shape us. 

As I look forward to the seasonal changes, I do so with expectation, not only with my physical senses…but with a sense of hope and excitement at all that God may choose to do in me and through me. 

I hope you also can enter into this fall season with a great sense of spiritual expectation.

Comments