Weighing My Commitments

Only $35.00.

Just $35.00 to take this class on “lotion and salve making”. I would love it! It would be fun, I would leave with a new skill, along with a batch of recipes and ideas to custom-make my own stuff! 

Just $35.00 and only three class sessions.


I’ve wanted to learn this skill 
for quite a while. I’ve visited numerous booths at fairs with people who create their own lotions and creams and soaps, and I’ve been wanting to figure out how to use lavender…one of my favorite scents. I’ve cut lavender, I’m growing lavender plants, I’m drying lavender, one of my favorite teas is Lavender Earl Grey, and I enjoy a good lavender scone or cookie.

And here I am with lavender hanging in our barn, and lavender essence of oil waiting in my cupboard. I could learn to make lavender lotion! 

So why not sign up? Why not spend the $35?

The issue really isn’t all about spending the money, but the more significant issue of spending time and energy. For attending a class like this means I will come home and want to try different recipes to make things. So the three-session class actually involves a much greater commitment of time.

As I weigh this decision, I find myself considering two things: 

First: my desire to create products I can use and enjoy.
Second: what’s already on my plate in this moment. 

I’d rather just make the commitment, sign up the class, and worry about how to fit everything else around it later. 

However, I’ve discovered that when I’m stretched too thin, additional commitments become more task than pleasure. I can have difficulty paying attention to what’s happening in the moment, because my head is so full of what’s going to happen in the next moment…or the moment after that. Or I’m consumed by planning what I need to accomplish for the task after that. In short, too many things to “do” negates time to “be”. I can become a “rushing, doing, flitting from thing to thing without time to enjoy living and experience” person. 

Therefore, I try to be intentional about my time and efforts. When I meet with God, I ask him to show me how to fill my time in the best ways in this season of life. This question needs to be asked for my spiritual, social, physical and mental well-being. It’s easy to become imbalanced, putting too much time into one area or another. Or to simply spread myself too thin.

And so – when I prayed and pondered about whether to participate in this class – the right answer was “Not now. Perhaps another time.”

How about you? 

Do you find yourself so scheduled you have trouble keeping up? Do you ever give yourself permission to adjust the balance in your life, checking to see that your “doing” doesn’t so totally overshadow time to just “be”? 

Do you need to ask God what can fit into this season of your life, and what perhaps should wait for another time? What advice might he give you, as you weigh your commitments?

Let me pray for you as you head out into your day. Dear Jesus, I pray that those reading this blog would talk to you today about their commitments, and get your input and guidance. Help them navigate the many responsibilities that life holds, as well as the many pleasurable activities available, to carve out space to experience the joys of “being”…and not just “doing”. Lord, give them wisdom to know where to spend their money, their time and their efforts. In your name, Amen.

Comments