The Water Bottle Distraction

God used one of my grandsons, at age 8, to provide a visual aid for my spiritual journey.

He was excited; so excited he barely could contain himself! His great love is baseball, and he was attending a week of summer baseball camp. He even was getting coached by some pros from our local minor-league team! Every morning he jumped out of bed, bouncing and full of energy, looking forward to the adventure that awaited. One day, though, he almost was derailed from the fun.

Why? Because of a water bottle.

The lack of a water bottle almost robbed him of a day of joy.

Evidently he had lost three water bottles in quick succession. However, knowing he needed one, his Dad made him an offer: I will loan you one of mine. You can use it or stay home. Unfortunately, Dad’s bottle was extra-large and didn’t fit well into the backpack. And so – in a matter of minutes – excitement turned to frustration. The big bottle simply was unacceptable, so my grandson asked to borrow one of mine that would be a better fit. All of a sudden, the sizeof a water bottle assumed greater importance than simply packing some water and heading off to a great day of camp. And then, in the midst of this, his Dad overheard him trying to negotiate a different deal with me.

He was caught.

Dad confronted him.

He became moody and misty-eyed.

Thankfully, after a few minutes of reflection, the moodiness was replaced with a tentative smile that slowly grew larger and larger. The desire to go to baseball camp won out, so he chose to take the bottle Dad offered. And he had a great day at camp, which was – of course – what he wanted. A day at baseball camp was the goal, which means the water bottle was incidental. Yet for a moment, it became the focus.

Here’s what I saw in that moment: It’s easy for a child to be petulant, and want something other than what is offered. And sometimes we are that petulant child.

Sometimes I have just the thing I want…just the situation I want…and I risk losing it through my own negligence or incorrect priorities. I whine, or I beg, or I try to negotiate a different deal with God.

All the while, God is calling me to look beyond my immediate wants…to not get sidetracked by secondary things…so I can experience the richer adventure he offers.

More than once, God has asked me to shift my focus from something less important, to the more significant value of an experience that awaits me. And – like my grandson – once I focus on the most important thing, I gain something that is rich and fruitful.

So today, if you’re feeling distracted by something that truly is of secondary importance, I encourage you to go to God, and ask him to help you shift perspective. Ask him to help you lay aside distractions, so you can experience the great adventure that awaits.

Let me pray for you. Dear Jesus, thank you for your patience with us. Sometimes we complain to you, when we have caused our own trouble. Sometimes we complain when we are so focused on having what we want, that we lose sight of what we really need. I pray for those reading those blog, that you will help them see beyond the less important desires to the most important invitations from you. Please lead them on a great adventure of faith! In Your Name, Amen.

Comments