Denial and Freedom

This is the second in a series of six posts leading up to Easter. 
This time period – often called Lent - can be a time of preparation and observance 
as we reflect on what Jesus did for us.

The beauty of a season like Lent it that it prompts us to be intentional about nurturing our faith. We set aside time…we change our focus…we let some things go…so we can cultivate a greater desire to be led by the Spirit, and to more faithfully follow Jesus, so our lives will be more pleasing to the Father. 

One way to cultivate a greater desire to follow Jesus is by choosing to abstain from (or limit our use of) something we enjoy. We deny ourselves and, in response, we give ourselves greater freedom to focus more on God.

The most common way we do this is by fasting from food. However, I think there are many ways we can “fast”, so I’ve attached a list of suggestions for you to consider.

Unfortunately, as should be obvious, our culture is addicted to consumption of all kinds. We are conditioned to pursue what we want, when we want it, and how we want it. For this reason, having a period of abstinence helps us intentionally resist our compulsions. A bit of denial actually is freeing, because it calms our impatience, and helps us become more content with delays and unmet desires.

For me, fasting brings greater awareness of how my desire for control plays out in my life. My desire to control other’s people’s responses. My desire to protect my self-image. And more. In fact, abstaining from something I want – whether food or shopping or social media – reveals how much my desires actually control me.

And this helps me realize something incredibly important: when a desire…any desire…takes the center of my attention, then I have trouble hearing God or loving others, because I become too focused on myself. 

Fasts, mentioned both in the Old and New Testament, offer freedom from these compelling demands which put us in slavery to ourselves and our selfish ways. They also give us the ability to sacrifice what we want for something better that God may choose for us

We open up our hands and let go. 

We practice some denial.

He sets us free. 

So I encourage you to join me by engaging in some sort of fast – even a short one – during this Lenten season. 

Try it for a few days, or a full week, or perhaps consistently between now and Easter. 

In fact, why not ask God how he might want you to fast?

Let me pray for you. Dear Jesus, thank you for giving examples of fasting in Scripture and reminding us that denial of our own pleasures can help us become more like you. I pray those reading this blog would choose abstinence of some pleasure to create an opportunity for you to work within them. Help them to turn to you in prayer, as they look to you to meet them in their need.Even though denial is not an easy process, may they trust you with the outcome, knowing you will be pleased with their offering. In Jesus’ Name, Amen. 

Comments