Refreshment through Repentance

This is the fifth in a series of six posts leading up to Easter.
This period – often called Lent - can be a time of preparation and observance
as we reflect on what Jesus did for us.

When I first started teaching English to fifth graders, I was teaching in a Catholic school. Every week all the students took turns going to the chapel where they stepped into the confessional booth to confess their sins to a priest, and seek repentance for their sins from God. 

Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord. (Acts 3:19)

Being a Protestant, I never had viewed this experience before, and found it interesting to observe the reactions of my students. Some of them made light of it and seemed to get little out of it. Others approached this as a way to humbly…and sincerely…repent and get right with God. They took God seriously, they took confession of sin seriously, and they believed in a loving and forgiving God.

Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed.  (James 5:16)

I’ve never forgotten the image of my devout 5th graders, who believed in the importance of honest confession in order to get right with God. And after they confessed, they experienced the lightness of heart that comes when we know that our God graciously wipes away our sins because of the death and resurrection of Jesus.

In the Protestant side of Christianity, we don’t go to a priest to tell them our sins officially or theologically. Yet because we don’t have to confess, we may become a bit cavalier about the importance of repentance. We can forget the importance of being intentional about dealing with our sin.

So this year, as I approached Lent, I felt like I needed to deal with this area of my life more intentionally. I needed to be willing to spend time with Jesus, my High Priest, in a metaphorical confessional booth. I settled on three specific actions that would become a more consistent part of the rhythm of my week. I would take time to reflect on my sin, to repent in humility, and to receive forgiveness…and refreshment…from my loving Lord.

Reflect on My Sin
I sincerely want to be kind, gracious, and loving to others. I also want to treat myself with grace, despite my weaknesses and faults. However, I don’t always reflect any of these godly desires. I can be prideful, and critical of others and myself. I can be anxious about circumstances, and struggle to trust God.

Sometimes people might not be aware of this, because these feelings and attitudes may be buried in my thoughts and not obvious in my actions.

Yet they are real. They are present. And they are wrong.

The fact is that I am a sinner, in continual need of a Savior. Which is why I must ask for continual help from Jesus, through a willingness to repent.

Repent in Humility
My help and healing come through repentance. When I express sincere regret about my sin, and express a resolve to live differently in the future, I move forward on the road toward healing and blessing. It’s not an easy road to travel, for I’d rather not meet God in the place of confession; I’d rather just pass by and rationalize my sin.

Yet in this season of Lent, as I take a closer look at Jesus’ sacrifice on my behalf, I’m reminded to be more humble, because I’m reminded of what my forgiveness cost him. My reflection on Jesus’ crucifixion almost compels me to be willing to repent and pursue a changed life.

Receive God’s Forgiveness & Refreshment
Jesus has the power to punish me for my sin, yet – instead – he offers me the compassion of forgiveness. He refreshes my soul. I always…always…step away from my time of reflection, confession, and repentance with a lighter heart. The peace which floods my soul is a gift from the Spirit; a gift that serves as a tangible reminder of God’s great love for me.

It’s no fun to confront our own sin nature, and the sinful attitudes and actions that result. Yet this is what God desires for us, because this is why Jesus died for us. He wants to set us free from the junk that keeps us in bondage. And when we meet him for a time of confession, he can…he will…lavish his forgiveness upon us.

So I invite you – as God invites all of his children – to become more intentional about laying your sins at the feet of Jesus. And then let the burden go. 
Be renewed, be refreshed, be free!

Let me pray for you. Dear Jesus, thank you for your willing sacrifice on our behalf. Help those reading this blog to honestly admit their sin, to repent, and to know that you will fill them with refreshment and healing through your power, Jesus. In Your Name, Amen.

Comments