Looking for the Abundant Life?

Our family of origin can make quite a difference in the way we respond to life, can’t it? 

As in many families, sometimes things are “caught” more than “taught”, and that certainly was the case in mine. My father’s parents were Scandinavians, often known for being tough and enduring people, who aren’t highly emotive. I love my family, and I love the many great things I learned from them. However, on the emotional side of life, what was modeled was to bury everything deep inside. I grew up thinking that the way to handle life was to persevere at all costs, to be emotionally tough, and to never admit weakness. 

So that’s what I did.

In my 30’s, I started to face the consequences of this kind of behavior. I faced damage in my life because sometimes I submerged my feelings (by claiming that “nothing’s wrong), sometimes I hid my feelings (by crying alone in the shower), and sometimes I denied my feelings (by keeping busy). 

Clearly, I struggled to understand and express my feelings. As a result, over a period of many years, my levels of anxiety and inadequacy increased and I lived with a vague sense of unease and seeming inability to slow down. I was tying to control my circumstances, working harder and harder, but with less success or peace. 

And none of this seemed to line up with what I actually believed about God and the life of faith. Why did the peace of Christ see so elusive? Where was the “abundant life” that Jesus promised? 

Finally, resigning from my job, I attended a retreat center with my husband and gained a better understanding of how my internal struggles were driving me. Driving me more than my faith. Sometimes even driving me away from God. 

So I began the process of learning some new spiritual habits. Habits that help me process my emotions in healthier ways, by connecting more closely with God. 

Instead of emotional unrest…instead of insecurity and discouragement…I am able to more fully rest in the peaceful presence of God. And now, in our world of increasing disruption and disarray, I need this more than ever.

And so do you. 

Starting on Monday October 19, I am introducing a new online course to address this need we all have. The need to conquer the inner junk that distracts us from God and distorts our view of God. 

“How to Spiritually Thrive in a Disrupted World” will give you some practical spiritual tools to help you experience the abundant life that God offers to each of us. 


Part 1 of the course highlights how distortions of our thoughts cause us to resist God’s peace.
Part 2 of the course highlights how overpowering thoughts cause us to deny God’s hope.
Part 3 of the course highlights how getting spiritually lost can move us away from God’s presence

And each lesson offers a way forward. A way to invite God into your life, to help you move past the thoughts and emotions that hold you back. 

Why not take this opportunity to let God do something new in your life, and draw you closer to Him? Be intentional about taking some steps that will help you experience more of the abundant life. 

The abundant life that Jesus wants for you.

Comments